½ cup Split Chickpeas
½ Bottle Gourd
1 cup hot water
1 Bay leaf
1 dry Red Chili
¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
1 teaspoon Ghee
1 Cardamom pod
¼ teaspoon ground fresh Ginger
¼ teaspoon ground Green Chili
1 Garlic pod
1 teaspoon Lemon juice
¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
1 teaspoon Coriander-Cumin powder
A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
Salt to taste
1. Soak the Split Chickpeas the night before in a bowl. Once soaked, wash and rinse thoroughly
2. Cut the Bottle Gourd in small pieces. Cut the Garlic into tiny pieces.
3. In a pot, add in the Ghee, dry Red Chili, Bay leaf, Cardamom pod, Mustard seeds, and Asafoetida. When the Mustard seeds pop, add in the Bottle Gourd, stir, and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add in the washed Split Chickpeas, Salt, Green chili, fresh Ginger, fresh Garlic, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Put in the remaining spices – Turmeric powder and Coriander-Cumin powder and stir.
6. Pour in the hot water and cook for 15 minutes or until the Split Chickpeas and Bottle Gourd are tender. The water will become half the quantity.
7. Garnish with Lemon juice, mix, and serve hot.