½ cup Yellow Lentils – Moong dal
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 cup water
1 dry Red Chilli
1 Bay Leaf
1 Cardamom pod
½ teaspoon Red Chili powder
¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
½ teaspoon Coriander-Cumin powder
¼ teaspoon Garam Masala powder
½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
1 teaspoon Lemon juice
Salt to taste
A pinch of Asafoetida
1) Soak the Yellow lentils for an hour prior to cooking.
2) Boil/pressure cook the lentils until soft and mix to form a batter/paste like consistency.
3) Chop the Tomato into small pieces
4) In a pan, add in the oil, Mustard seeds, dry Red Chili, Bay Leaf, Cardamom pod and Asafoetida.
5) Once the Mustard seeds crackle, add in the chopped Tomato, the rest of the spices, stir and cook for 5-7 minutes. The tomato will become tender and like a paste.
6) Add in the Yellow lentils and the water. Mix well and cook for 10 minutes.
7) Garnish with lemon juice and serve hot.